“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient—that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population—that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind—that we cannot right every wrong or reverse every adversity.”
-Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. quoting JFK
Drawing comparisons from Ralph Waldo Emerson and Orestes Brownson, Ted Widmer eulogizes Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr., one of the great intellectual minds of the 20th century. Read Arthur of Camelot.
Above, from left to right: Vice President Johnson, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., Admiral Arleigh Burke, President Kennedy, Mrs. Kennedy.
(Photo by Cecil Stoughton via)